Here are some examples of issues students bring to me at the Office of the Ombudsman. These are common issues but in no way a definitive list. The reality is that students come with all sorts of issues and concerns, so ANY issue is a good one to come talk about.
- Academic Dishonesty
- I’ve been accused of an academic integrity violation, and I don’t believe it is fair. What should I do about that?
- I have a meeting scheduled regarding an academic integrity violation. What should I expect, and how can I prepare?
- Progress to Degree
- I believe my advisor is not allowing me to progress in my degree program; what are my options for addressing this?
- My department is making it difficult for me to fulfill my requirements. Who can I talk to about that?
- I believe that I am essentially being forced out of my program. What can I do about that?
- I am currently on suspension, and I have concerns about how it was handled. What are my next steps?
- Concerns about my instructor/advisor
- I believe my advisor is singling me out and treating me unfairly. What are my options for addressing this?
- The way my class is being run seems very unfair. Is there someone I can talk to about that?
- I have concerns about a faculty members’ behavior, but I’m not sure if or how I should raise them. I’d like to speak with someone confidentially to see what my options are.
- Grade Grievance
- I’d like to petition to have my grade changed. What’s the process for doing that, and what should I expect?
- Financial Aid/Student Debt
- I’m not getting access to financial aid that I feel I deserve. Who can help me resolve this issue?
- The University says I owe them money, but I believe that is not true and unfair. How do I address this situation?
- I have concerns about my residence hall situation and no one seems to be listening.
- I would like to change my living situation but haven’t had any luck in doing so. What can I do?
- I had a situation recently where I felt discriminated against. What are my options for addressing these concerns?
- I believe I was unfairly denied in-state residency. What is the process of sharing my concerns?
- Student Employment
- I was unfairly terminated from my campus job. What are my rights, and potential next steps?
- I believe my department is unfairly assigning department jobs. What can I do about this?
Regardless of your concerns, if you are having a problem or dispute with the University and would like to discuss it with a confidential, neutral, informal and independent person on campus, I encourage you to contact the Office of the Ombudsman.